August 27, 2010

Highlights of the first week in Dhaka

We've finished our first work week in Dhaka.  Settling in has been relatively easy and we've had a few adventures already....

- Henry took his first rickshaw ride(s).  I had to go to my office before a big meeting the second day I was here.  I strapped him in the Baby Bjorn and headed out.  I thought I would walk the ~1 mile to the office but it was quite hot and the streets were crowded in places.  I think Henry liked the view from the rickshaw. He was asleep when I left the office, and I was surprised that the jostling from the potholes didn't wake him up.  I was bummed I didn't snag a photo of this first ride but soon enough we'll make sure we get one of him taking a ride.

- For the first time EVER in 4.5 years in Bangladesh I wore a "short" skirt on the streets of Dhaka!!  Short is all relative here.  This skirt hung just below my knees but that meant my calves were exposed, oh my!  Don't worry, I didn't go gallivanting around town in my radical outfit. I just walked the 100 meters home from the American Club.  I've been saying I was going to try to wear "bideshi" (foreigner) clothes this time around in Bangladesh but I didn't know if I'd be able to muster up the courage. 

- We visited the "London Sausage House" which is only 20 meters from our apartment and on the way to the American Club.  We heard that this shop was similar to the popular German Butcher and were curious to check it out.  We happily discovered it's the same shop just jazzed up. Awesome.  We can get great fresh whole grain bread, fresh meat, and homemade sausages anytime we want them.  (I used to go to the German Butcher about once a week the last time we lived here).

The power goes out here about 4 times a day for an hour each and 1 time at night. Amazingly, we get 1 fan and one light in every room powered by the generator so life doesn't get too uncomfortable without the electricity.  Better yet, our internet will continue to work when the power is out - what does that mean for you? Video skype calls won't get dropped!

No comments: