February 18, 2011

One night - or make that six nights - in Bangkok and...

Scott, Henry, and I just got back from a great week in Bangkok. We planned the trip around Scott needing to get a new visa which takes a week. Shucks. We started off the week with a day at the famous weekend market navigating the infinite isles.
 enjoying a lunch by an adjacent park

The rest of the week we spent roaming around the hotel neighborhood enjoying the calm that is Bangkok - anything is calm after Dhaka - and, of course, experimenting the street food.  Bangkok is wonderful in the array of delicious, clean street food you can safely eat. 
The carts roll in around 11am and chefs start cooking anything from noodle soups to sausage type things to buns stuffed with bean paste to grilled bananas.  There are also moving fruit sellers offering bags of freshly cut guava, papaya, pineapple, etc and even strawberries.  Although general areas for the stalls remain the same, it seems that each day there are different vendors and certainly different concoctions on offer.  The picture below suggests why the stall owner and his diners seemed impressed that I so confidently said with my body language "Sure, I'll take a serving of whatever you have cooking today."  I'll blame it on placing my order when it was dark outside...
Yep - you guessed it, that's a plump chicken foot.  There were also quite a few eggs in there - small ones that were perhaps pigeon eggs? - and a red "meat" that I think was chicken liver.  I must admit, while I tried the broth, I decided to forgo the adventure of consuming this soup. 

We took serious advantage of the wonderful tailors in Bangkok.  I had some stuff made at Pinky's
And Scott ordered from Rajawongse
The clothing orders required fittings the second night. No complaints from us because, with the help of my friend Natalia, we discovered some of the best Mexican / Taqueria food either of us has ever eaten.  We, um, ate there three times.  Strange to think that now when I look forward to visiting Bangkok I'll crave all things Thai as well as a good fish burrito with salsa.  Although this photo doesn't catch the deliciousness of the food you can see how the decor screams Mexican food restaurant with its bright orange and red walls and blue wood furniture.

We spent some time with my graduate school friend, Natalia, who lives in Bangkok and who passed on great information about the city.  Henry and her 7.5 month old son Joseph had a fun time together. 

We also spent some quality time hanging out in the hotel either at the pool or in the room playing cards
watching Henry figure out how to climb up on things
and ensuring Henry got his beauty naps in while making sure that if we felt the urge to head out on the town we could get right up and go.
Ha, just kidding.  Actually, all the closet doors in the hotel bedroom had mirrors on them.  Since Henry is at a stage when he really enjoys all the fun games one can play with mirrors it was challenging to get him to nap.  Alas, the brilliance of the Ergo.

Now we're back in Dhaka.  I think my mosquitoes missed me because they are all coming to say hello.  Time to go get the Racket...

No comments: