September 22, 2010

Flying objects

We've had some fun with flying "objects" in the past few days.  I'll start with the freaking and end with the fun.
In the middle of the night two days ago I heard a noise that I figured was made by something falling to the ground.  Earlier that day we had people here working on our AC wall unit so I just assumed some piece fell out of that and thought nothing more.  In the morning I noticed a piece of black plastic on the floor. At first I was confused as to why it would be there and then I remembered the sound I had heard.  I leaned down to pick it up but as I was doing so I remembered that I can't trust anything in Bangladesh and that I better make sure it was a piece of plastic before I picked it up. I put Henry down on the bed (thankfully) and dragged a pair of pants over the plastic to make sure it wasn't a living "piece of plastic".  The pants proved that it was a bendable piece of something sort of like a stretched garbage bag.  I confidently leaned down to pick it up.  OHHH NOOOOO - about 8 inches from picking it up I realized it was.....A BAT!  AHHHH!  Here were the thoughts flying through my head a) we had a half alive BAT on our bedroom floor, b) we keep all doors and windows closed here so how the heck did a bat get inside, c) was this a vampire bat??? ;), and d) perhaps most disturbingly, the noise I heard that night had been the bat flying into the ceiling fan and being propelled to ground - thankfully it landed on THE GROUND because there was a 30% chance it could have landed on me or Scott on the bed and a 20% chance it could have landed on Henry in his crib!  Scott subsequently got rid of the bat and I tried to forget about the incident.  When I told the nanny about it later she, in her classic Bangladeshi way, was not shocked at all but just laughed that I had a reaction and casually mentioned that the other day she found a bat in another room.  Oh my oh my.....  As Scott said, these are bug eating bats and we should be happy we have them.  Yes, I am very very happy....

On a fun note, when I work from home I look out a huge window onto a forest which is a rare opportunity in Dhaka
Flying around among the trees are not just crows. blue jays, and cardinals, but big parrots!  I think it's so cool that I watch wild parrots flying around :)
There is a parrot right in the center of that photo and in this next on there is still that same parrot but another one on the right side of the photo
Sometime I spot really bright yellow tropical birds. I'll try to get a photo next time.

No comments: