January 7, 2011

With the rising sun

For about a month now Henry has slept through the night.  He still likes to go to bed around 6pm but once down he's out until it's time to rise and shine.  I noticed that he was waking up at just about the same time every day no matter when he went to bed. I didn't think about that much until the "just about the same time" was becoming just a little earlier every morning.  Henry would seem pretty tired when he woke up and would go back down for a nap about an hour later.  Hmmm, I didn't quite know what to make of the situation and, although I hoped that once one day he would ideally sleep past 5:45 or so, I chose not to stress about the schedule. 

Then, a few days ago before I went to get him I went into the bathroom to grab my comfy warm robe since it can be a little chilly in the apartment in the morning.  And there it was, faintly, the call to prayer.  My oh my.  After testing our newly defined hypothesis the next morning, we realized that poor Henry was getting woken up by the morning, rising sun call to prayer!  We don't hear it in our bedroom because we're on the side of the house with the forest but Henry's window is aimed towards the city.  I bet he could sleep through one call (especially since when he's napping during the day there are so many types of construction, rickshaw, and other random noises that he sleeps through), but when there are 17 calls beginning in a haphazard round some of which are sung a bit off key, the little kid wakes up.  Dang.  That call to prayer is just going to be called out earlier and earlier each day since the winter solstice.  I'm hoping that by the time the sun rises around 4am he'll know how to sleep through it!

No comments: